Nursing supply was already at a tipping point before the COVID-19 crisis. The US was struggling to satisfy rising demand in the face of a decade-long and acute nursing shortage, which was projected to balloon to 200,000 unfilled positions this year. The COVID-19 crisis has exasperated an already overwhelming shortage.
The HWRA is legislation that will increase the supply of nurses and doctors into the US. These two occupations are among the shortest supplied occupations by US workers.
The US nursing crisis will only get worse:
- While the crisis is abating in some areas of the country, a COVID-19 vaccine is not expected for 18 months. Spikes in infection rates will continue until the vaccine is developed.
- CDC Director Robert Redfield fears that the virus’s continued assault on our nation next winter could “actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through.” He continued, "and when I've said this to others, they kind of put their head back, they don't understand what I mean."
- Likewise, during the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic some areas in the country did not reach their peaks until the following November. The second wave was much more deadly than the first wave.
- Infection peaks have not yet happened in most of the country. Seven of the eight counties with the most infections are all in New York. While New York appears to have finally hit its peak, that state is an outlier.
- Other countries have not yet reached an infection peak. As international travel comes back on line, it is expected that US infection rates will re-emerge.
- Maldistribution of healthcare workers means that grave nursing shortages exist in some localities and specialties. For instance, employers of dialysis nurses have seen their national shortage triple in the just eight weeks. New York area hospitals are offering pay rates at 2 to 4 times a nurse’s usual salary, in an effort to attract nurses from other areas of the country.
- Nursing schools are forcing rushed graduations in an effort to put nurses immediately onto hospital rosters. States are even waiving licensing requirements in an effort to get as many healthcare workers to work as quickly as possible.
- We know based on the experience of other countries that the coronavirus is a caregivers' illness. In Italy's Lombardy region, one of the country's hardest-hit, as much as 10 percent of all nurses and doctors have been infected and placed in quarantine. Italy is now desperately calling on retried healthcare workers to join their fight.
Atty, is there Any update on HWRA? ThanksReplyDelete
Atty mentioned during his q and a that we will know the result by End of JulyDelete
Yes- this bill will probably be decided by the end of July.Delete
I hope US politicians will understand the real importance of boosting the healthcare system of USA especially we're merely months away before the next projected spike of covid-19 case in the US. Passing the HWRA bill and turning it to a law is the rightful approach in beating this virus and I hope President Trump will see the importance of this bill.
I do too, Bernard!Delete
Good day Atty!ReplyDelete
If this bill got the approval by the end of July, will they start giving these visas in August VB or in the next fiscal year? thank you!
aty good day!if this bill will ebacted,my ques is,how we will know that 25000 nurses is exhausted,are we going to have update count on visa used? no manipulation on the said visa right?thanks in advance.ReplyDelete
There will be a Visa Bulletin published which will let you know how quickly the visas are being used.Delete
thank you atty,❤have a good dayDelete
Hi, is there a possibility of another retrogression on the next few VBs? Thanks.ReplyDelete
There is always a possibility. I think that it is unlikley this summer however.Delete
When do you think Sept 6,2018 PD will become current?
im not atty, but prayer will do.i hope ur current next month❤Delete
I'm already in the USA, my PD is April 2018
My country is one of those suspended from getting immigrant visa
My dependents are yet to join me but have submitted their DS 260 form since October 2019, is it likely they may be scheduled for an interview and issued a visa,your response will be highly appreciated,thank you
If the embassy is taking appointments, they will be scheduled if your priority date is current. if your priority date is not current, they will have to wait until it is current.Delete
Registered Nurse Certification certifies them as a certified RN and allows them to work as a nurse in long-term care facilities, speciality, surgical, emergency, intensive care units, and at the home of patients. Bvp certification near meReplyDelete
Awesome admin Zoe is my name. I'm a social media marketing director with three years of expertise in the fields of social media marketing and SEO. I build websites and POS software, and I previously worked as a digital sales manager in a POS company, where I converted leads into sales. I also have experience with brand marketing.https://neoncavesigns.medium.com/ReplyDelete