Wednesday, April 21, 2010

MU Healthcare Immigration Primer: The Series

Over the next few posts MU will be posting basic US immigration information for common occupations such as Registered Nurses, Physical Therapists, and Occupational Therapists. If there are any occupations that you would like us to focus on, please let us know either via email or via the comments.

This posting will focus on some preliminary thoughts and issues that are common in most visa Petitions and Applications. The subsequent postings will highlight the specific occupations.

In all instances, there must be an employer who is the Petitioner of the visa. Generally the Beneficiary must hold the appropriate state license, although a few exceptions will be noted.

For those who are overseas, any healthcare immigration case generally starts with an immigration Petition filing in the United States. Upon approval of the Petition, the case is forwarded to the appropriate US Consulate or Embassy where the visa is issued to the beneficiary.

Upon visa issuance, the Beneficiary can enter the US. Family members generally can attend the interview and are issued derivative visas. Some derivative visas allow the derivatives work authorization and others do not.

There are two broad visa categories: nonimmigrant and immigrant visas. Nonimmigrant visas (also called NIVs or temporary visas) typically are for shorter periods of time. NIVs also tie an employer and employee. In other words if the Beneficiary wants to move to a new employer, a new NIV must be filed.

Once issued, Immigrant visas (also called IVs, green cards, or permanent residency) typically remain valid for 10 years. Immigrant visa holders also become eligible for US Citizenship, ordinarily after 5 years. IVs also may sponsor certain family members for US immigration, although the retrogression for some family categories is lengthy.

1 comment:

  1. Nursing please. The wait is getting ridiculous when they are in such dire need!!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.